Monday, January 17, 2005

Why English?

The answer to this question is the following:

I started my blog 3 weeks ago with the idea of doing it in spanish, but after reading other blogs randomly, I noticed that there's a lot of people all over the world posting their stuff too, some of them do it on their own language, but some others do it in english. I'm interested on what people from places like China or Slovenia have to say about what they think, and I really appreciate that they do so in english, otherwise I wouldn't understand.

I want that other people from different countries with interests like mine understand what I have to say. I want to receive input and comments to my blogs not only from the spanish speaking people, and english is really the universal language. I am positive that the people who speak spanish will understand what I write in english as well.

I love my own language, that's for sure, and I hate that some of my friends here in Chihuahua don't write well or don't know how to write even a short essay. I criticize the errors I find when reading to the newspaper. It makes me wonder how is it possible that a person whose job is to edit for such a mean of communication is not skilled on the language. It's like an offense to Spanish. I hope I'm making my point here: I love spanish (castilian), and the fact that I write in english is a mere thing of making my ideas to be understood by more people, period.

2 Comments:

At 1/17/2005 9:56 PM, Blogger Tamujin said...

Thanks for your visit.
Responding to your question, Castilian is the language originary from the province of Castilla, Spain. Castilian is also a person from that region.
Castilian is not the only language spoken in Spain, they also have Gallego, Catalan, and Vascuence mainly. There's also a lot of dialects related to the four main languages and latin. Castilian became the official language since the time of the Catholic Kings on the XV Century when the Queen Isabel sponsored the trip of Christopher Columbus that finally lead him to discover America.

In a nut shell: What you know as spanish is in reality castilian.

What's your blog name? I'd like to visit it.
Take care! Hasta Pronto.

 
At 3/07/2005 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola Lupe,

I am glad that you are writing most of your blogs in English. Otherwise, I would not understand most of your comments very well, and I enjoy your insight.

I also love Spanish / Castilian, as it is a very beautiful spoken and written language. However, my 3 years of High School Spanish have rusted in my mind from lack of use. I remember many words and some of the structure, but unfortunately, not enough to get the real meaning of many sentences written in it.

I will continue to visit here, and also continue to consider you my friend.

Ron Reist

 

Post a Comment

<< Home